Italian businessman Luigi Gasperin has been released from jail in Venezuela as the South American country continues to free prisoners after the United States ousted Nicolas Maduro, Deputy Premier and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani announced on Thursday.
It had been reportedly last week that Gasperin, a 77-year-old businessman who was arrested in August 2025 over explosives that were allegedly being held by his company, had been freed after a release order was issued.
But in reality that order had not been applied and he was still being detained.
“Luigi Gasperin is free too,” Tajani said via X after the release this week of Italian aid worker Alberto Trentini and businessman Mario Burlò, who had both been in prison in Venezuela since November 2024.
“He is now at our embassy in Caracas.
“A few days ago we had obtained the order for his release.
Last night he was released from prison”.
The foreign ministry said in a statement that Gasperin was “exhausted but in good shape” and wanted to remain in Venezuela – specifically in the state of Monágas where his company is based.






