Efforts underway to control Evrychou fire

Efforts underway to control Evrychou fire

Efforts to put Evrychou fire under control restarted early in the morning on Monday, while Cyprus President, Nicos Anastasiades had on Sunday evening a telephone conversation with the Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu.

Police are investigating information by a witness that the fire broke out on Sunday, early in the afternoon, while a 12-year-old boy was playing with a lighter outside a house in Evrychou village, located about 50 km south-west of Nicosia and 30 km from Troodos mountain.

According to the Fire Service, two planes arrived from Greece to Larnaca aiport early in the morning, to join firefighting efforts while, ground vehicles and hundreds of personnel operate in the area.

Government Spokesman, Nikos Christodoulides, said in a post on twitter that Anastasiades had a telephone conversation with Neatanyahu and that Israel would send additional help to Cyprus. The neighbouring country had sent on Sunday four Israeli firefighter aircrafts in order to contribute to the efforts of the local forces to put another fire, in Argaka village, Paphos, under control.

A press release issued on Sunday afternoon said that President Anastasiades followed with great concern the developments as regards the fires raging in various parts of the island and the superhuman efforts of the competent services to put them under control.

Anastasiades expressed his gratitude to Greece and Israel for their valuable assistance, assuring that the government will take all measures to protect the inhabitants of the areas where fires are ranging and to prevent their spread that leads to the destruction of the environment.

Meanwhile, a 55-year-old civil defence member, and one forestry official, aged 56, were injured in Evrychou area, and are currently being treated at Nicosia General Hospital. The latter, was critically injured, while driving a fire truck and sustained a head wound and injuries to his right arm. The 55-year-old was found to have a broken left arm. A third incident saw a forestry department vehicle completely destroyed by flames. No one was injured

There were 28 calls to fires between Sunday morning and Monday morning the Fire Service said, as temperatures are high and reach around 40C on Monday increasing the risk.